News updates...

  • All rented property now requires inspection and certification
    See PIR report below
  • All electrical work in domestic homes requires an approved contractor
    Electrical work undertaken in your home which includes the addition of a new electrical circuit, or involves work in your home from 1st January 2005 must be reported to the Local Authority Building Control.
  • Technical terms explained

    BS: British Standard BS 7671 also known as the IEE (Institute of Electrical Engineering) wiring regulations, details the requirements for electrical installations and is the standard against which all NAPIT contractors are assessed. To enrol with NAPIT all electricians, and anyone they employ, must meet this national safety standard.

    Certificate: Any electrician installing a new electrical installation (including a single circuit), altering, extending or adapting an existing circuit should issue the homeowner with an electrical installation certificate or minor electrical installation works certificate to confirm the work complies with the requirements of BS 7671.

    Consumer unit: Also known as a fusebox, consumer control unit or electricity control unit. A particular type of distribution board comprising an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers and residual current devices (RCD).

    Fault finding: A methodical inspection to find a fault. Sometimes what looks like a minor problem can be a symptom of a serious safety failing.

    Fuseboard upgrade: This is the replacement of your existing fuseboard for a new consumer unit complete with RCD protected circuits and circuit breakers.

    Inspection and testing: This involves checking your installation, and testing a sample of lighting and power points to check whether British Standard 7671 is met. At the end of an inspection you will receive a report that your installation passes, or a list of faults that need to be corrected. Testing can only be carried out by a competent electrician such as a NAPIT Approved Contractor.

    Part P: The specific section of the Building Regulations for England and Wales that relates to electrical installations in domestic properties. Part P provides safety regulations to protect householders, and requires most domestic electrical work to be carried out by government-registered electricians, or to be inspected by Building Control officers.

    PAT - Portable Appliance Testing: Inspection and testing of electrical equipment including portable appliances, moveable equipment, hand held appliances, stationary equipment, fixed equipment/appliances, IT equipment and extension leads.

    PIR - Periodic Inspection Report: Normally conducted for rental properties/homebuyers this is an electrical survey, known as a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR). It will reveal if electrical circuits are overloaded, find potential hazards, identify defective DIY work, highlight any lack of earthing or bonding and carry out tests on the fixed wiring of the installation. The report will establish the overall condition of all the electrics and state whether it is satisfactory for continued use, and will detail any work that might need to be done.

    Re-wiring: This is the term for removing and replacing your existing electrical installation with new sockets, wires, lights and consumer unit (fusebox).

    RCD - Residual Current Device: This is a safety device that switches off the electricity automatically when it detects an earth fault, providing protection against electric shock.